Folklore, food, fashion and fun! And other words that start with F.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Baby's First Day In New York

On my first day in New York City, it snowed.

It snowed a lot.

I didn't pack any serious snow gear, for the simple reason that I don't own any, so by the end of the day I was basically an abominable snowlady. No wait, that sounds too majestic, I was an abominable snow drowned rat.

I ventured forth again today only to have my train break the hell down or something, so I power walked to my 7pm show and arrived about 15 minutes late. I am so upset about missing the opening number that I might go back again. Also, there are other reasons. Mainly to stalk Ron Weasley. More on that in a sec.

I feel like the musical "Once" has become a bit of a routine for me. I aw in back in March in London, after seeing on a poster at Green Park tube station that an actor I liked was in it. I damn near fell of the escalator. It's a hilarious, beautiful, and very human show. It's so damn good that I can forgive it for falling so heavily into the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. My Mom, who has what might be termed better taste in music and movies than I do, made me watch the simple, unspectacular and singularly lovely indie film that the stage play is based on. Being a teenager, I flounced back to my room, probably to stare at pictures of boys with dyed-black hair. But later, I stealthily downloaded all the songs from the film on Kazaa, or LimeWire, or whatever platform we were using to cheat musicians of their hard-earned coke money that year.
The cast was better in London, but Once has officially dethroned Phantom of the Opera as my favorite musical.

The musical really expounds wonderfully on the richness of Irish culture (it's set in Dublin), as well as that of the immigrant experience in Ireland themes which were present, but underused in the film. It also adds new songs, develops snippets of songs from the movies into full-fledged numbers, and adapts the melody of the Oscar-Winning "Falling Slowly" into a score that is at times whimsical and others haunting. The first time I saw it, I was so charmed that I felt suffused with happiness, due in part to the fact that I hadn't experienced any theater in probably years. I felt a lot of hope, and I felt like all of the lyrics applied to my own life. Lots of people feel that way, I'm sure, universality is the magic of a well-written pop song. I cried then, and I cried tonight, but for very different reasons.

After the show, the GPS on my phone wasn't working, so I waited outside the theater to give it a minute to boot up. But the actors on their way home thought I was there for autographs, so I just went with it. The lead actor, however, didn't show. Who the hell do you think you are, Steve Kazee? You're not. You don't do the little butt-dance thing nearly as well as he did (I would find a video of said butt-dance, but frankly I'm scared to Google it).

This cutie plays a Czech drummer with the immortal line "More soul. Less pants."
 He definitely leaned his head against mine, which is the most action I've gotten since I left London.

As I was leaving, a man crossed my line of vision wearing a familiar looking beanie. It was Nathan fucking Lane, and he was wearing the exact same beanie he had worn ten years ago when I saw him leaving "The Producers." God, I hope he splashed out for a new beanie at some point. There was a huge crowd waiting to meet the stars of "It's Only a Play," who include Lane, Stockard Channing, Megan Mullaly, Matthew Broderick, and Rupert Grint. If you know me, then I assume you know the Grint was in the Harry Potter films. RON WEASELY WAS NEXT DOOR TO ME THE WHOLE NIGHT AND I NEVER KNEW! So yeah, I might go back. I might see the play. I might just buy a parka and wait outside the theater every night until I can get myself a sweet, sweet selfie with him.
So, I didn't get to fangirl all over Grint, but Matthew Broderick signed autographs and took pictures with everyone. Such a class act. I really appreciate him mustering a smile for this picture.

Erin and Matthew, ten years after our first encounter


 And then I saw this giant billboard of my boyfriend in Time Square!

I share him with many women, both human and dwarf-kind, one assumes. It's a very modern arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment