Folklore, food, fashion and fun! And other words that start with F.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Best Thing to Happen This Weekend

This is a segment in which the authoress will attempt to identify the absolute best moment from her weekend. It sounded like a fun idea. We'll see.

This weekend I was at OKC pub, Mcnellie's, which, like most pubs in the Midwest, is basically a satire of pubs. But damn, do they have great hush puppies. Or as the receipt said, "Hush Pups." Which, incidentally, is perhaps the phrase I use (by which I mean holler exasperatedly) most often when I am at home.
 
But then they do shit like this and I don't mind the barking as much.
 
So, I don't remember exactly how the conversation went, but the gist was this:
 
Customer: So can I have French Fries with the fish, instead of chips?
Bartender: It does come with French Fries, ma'am.

Bless.

If there was further explanation, I don't remember because I turned to my friend and fellow anglophile and tried to pretend like we a) hadn't heard and were totally minding our own business and b) were not weeing ourselves with the effort of not laughing. It was precious.

I feel like if you know me, you probably know that chips= fries when you are in Britain. But, because we're friends, I also want to make sure you know that to the Brits, "pants" means underwear. If you mean Pants pants, then it's "trousers." So please use this information to avoid embarrassing English incidents. Or do what I do and pretend not to know so that all the Londoners lose their shit when you start talking about your pants! Mwuahahaha!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment